In memory of 


Mir Warid, 13, a teenage girl

Mariam’s father-in-law and his sister

Janat Gul, 40, her husband’s brother

Khanum Agha (25)’s mother-in-law

Another woman

A 9-yr-old girl’s mother, father and sisters

killed about 2 A.M. Sunday morning, April 29, 2007


in Bati Kot in the Ghanikhel district of Nangarhar Province near Jalalabad. U.S. Special Operations and Afghan forces raided three homes, justifying the assault by saying that a bomb making facility existed there. In the assault, six civilians were killed – a teenage girl, 2 men and 3 women - and others injured others (including two children). Neighbors said five people had died, including two women with only a young girl surviving from a family. A woman named Mariam told Pajhwok Afghan News (the Associated Press and other mainstream press were apparently not interested), “at 2.00 A.M. American soldiers knocked down the main gate of our house and lobbed a hand grenade inside before storming in and firing at us." Slapping her face, a weeping Mariam said: "The Americans gunned down my father-in-law, my husband's brother and his sister." The photo above shows a 9-year-old girl who told journalists that her father, mother and sisters were killed by the U.S. troops (RAWA photo). A rare report which made its way into The Washington Post (05/12/2007) on page 10 noted,


The mud-walled village compound was silent except for a chorus of tiny frogs in the surrounding fields. Inside, ghosts lurked. A pile of stones had been carefully mounded over the bloodstains where Janat Gul, 40, died. A trampled patch of opium poppy plants indicated where Mir Warid, 13, fell. The living were almost as silent. A girl of 3 held up her bandaged arm, staring mutely at a group of visitors last week. A leathery woman squatted and frowned, surrounded by motherless children now in her care. Suddenly, she began speaking in an angry torrent. "The soldiers killed my mother-in-law, then my father-in-law. I begged to touch him, but they shouted at me not to come close. Then they left me alone with the children, crying for help," said Khanum Agha, 25. "The foreigners are supposed to be protecting us, but instead they come and kill us in our beds." Early May 2, U.S. Special Operations units surrounded and attacked the compound here in the eastern province of Nangahar, believing it was being used by insurgents as a bomb factory, according to Afghan news reports. They arrested one man and displayed 120 kilograms (about 265 pounds) of captured explosive materials on local television broadcasts. In the raid, they killed six civilians, including two women and a girl of 13, according to witnesses….."Does this look like a bomb factory to you?" demanded Sana Gul, 30, one of the survivors, showing a reporter through the farm compound that was strung with laundry and strewn with dirty sleeping cushions. "They said they found 120 kilos of explosives, but we can't even afford 120 kilos of wheat.


Khanum Agha, 25, survived the U.S. assault but she lost her mother-in-law and father-in-law.

The day after the raid, outraged villagers staged a mass protest, chanting “death to America” and displaying the bodies alongside the highway: the bodies of the women were covered with sheets while the men’s faces were revealed (see Pajhwok photo below). Hajii Lewani, a resident, identified the dead: “2 women and 2 men were from a family living here and were originally from Tagab district (of Kapisa Province), and one man is from a separate family of the area.” The photo above shows the covered bodies of the two Afghan women slaughtered by U.S. occupation soldiers (photo by Rahmat Gul, A.P.). On Monday, the powerful Shinwar tribe vowed not to allow U.S. occupation forces into their district.


The photo shows a young boy whose parents were killed by the U.S. occupation forces, while the other photo depicts the bodies of civilians killed.


Khanum Agha, 25, "The foreigners are supposed to be protecting us, but instead they come and kill us in our beds."


Killed in a mid-night assault by U.S. Special Operations soldiers