News (also see previous years' items
- free-will? Not so much.. or at least not that you know about it.
- "Primary consciousness" in the brainstem?
- Motion induced blindness demo (MIB)
- brain and consciousness videos
- Voices in the head
- More on consciousness-altering
sleep drugs--'sedative hypnotics' -- see below (-18) for an earlier
- Do rats really 'reflect' on their 'thoughts?'
- more on the future of psychiatric issues --their genes
- Mindfulness and pain
- PFC fails to inhibit subthreshold visual noise as well as it does suprathreshold
- Hippocampus and
imagination -- more than memory? (Recall discussion of "insight" )
- outsiders reading your intentions from
your brain states? No big surprise here.
thinking and misattribution of causality
- What happens when your mind wanders?
- Magic and
vision (links to "change
blindness" and related stuff)
- the blind artist
- how does he do that?
- "cognitive unbinding" in sleep and anesthesia?
- Mesmer vs Gassner deja vu?- evidence-based
- 2006 Tucson consciousness conference
identity and the right hemisphere
- Need extra credit? - take Satanism 101 at the
vs neurological attitudes?
- More than a sleeping
aid? ....A registered nurse who lives
outside Denver took Ambien before going to sleep one night in January 2003.
Sometime later — she says she remembers none of the episode —
she got into her car wearing only a thin nightshirt in 20-degree weather,
had a fender bender, urinated in the middle of an intersection, then became
violent with police officers, according to her lawyer.
The woman, whose lawyer says she previously had a pristine traffic record,
eventually pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of careless driving after the
prosecutors partly accepted her version of events, said the lawyer....
- Anesthetic use of
- Proprioception --
the sixth sense--includes corollary discharge
- More on placebo
effects-- the power of suggestion
with Ramachandran on brain and consciousness
- Hypnosis, brain and individual
- Hypnosis and eliminating the Stroop effect?
- Thin slices of attraction?
and frugal basketball management -- Gladwell on the NBA
- Correll, J., Park, B., Judd, C.M., & Wittenbrink, B. (2002). The police
officer's dilemma: Using ethnicity to disambiguate potentially hostile individuals.
Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 83, 1314-1329. (examples
of video "game")
- Too fast for introspection? Where?
(2006) Neuron, 50. p.329 )
- change blindness1 (Resnick,
- change blindness2
- blind spot
- phenomenal causality,
attribution of causality (Heider
, Michotte, Piaget..)
- demo of Libet's experiment on
McGurk , H. & MacDonald, J.W. (1976). Hearing lips and seeing voices.
- IAT page; do
a demo. Watch Alan Alda take an IAT
online PBS. and read a brief review
of the IAT.
- Take the Turing test.
High consciousness content websites
- Science and Conscious
- Julian Jaynes Society
- Association for the Scientific Study
- Wikibook on consciousness
ideas -- primarily philosophers.
- consciousness notables timeline