Language news and factoids--most recent at the top
- Holy monkey brain--look at these images. Read more.
- memories are made of these (what the heck is optogenetics?)
- how to deal with functional fixedness
- vote for me; my voice is lower than his/hers?
- restore the native language of Ireland?
- introducing the shut-up gun!
- far-fetched non-arbitrariness of the sign?--(check size of effects)
- self directive function of language--"private speech"
- Where's Wernicke's area? (Joe Bogan asked the same question years ago)
- Bogen JE, Bogen GM (1976). "Wernicke's region—Where is it?". Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 280: 834–43
- the infamous Boston accent
- why are words ambiguous? For better or worse?
- what does FOXP2 do?
- recent research on Whorfism
- are you a vocal creaker?
- disappearing human languages
- differences in role of language in children vs adults--relevant to Whorfism???
- Sentences, not words, make human language--no kidding! More here. And here.
- more on ugly noises
- language change due to immigrant men-- rather than women?
- voice and mating
(wait a year!)
- localization of unique language brain regions
-- can reading be among them?
- two year olds and complex grammar-- simply shocking! (compare Limber, 1973).
- more on bilingualism and phonology-- still no surprise.
- language instinct? No kidding!
- how do liars talk?
- language evolved once-- says phonology. No surprise here.
- How do we humans do it? (speech perception; cocktail party problem)
- premature baby language? (video)
- Creativity in language acquisition
- Does IBM's Jeopardy Watson comprehend English? (Nova PBS)
- reading without eyes?
Language in the visual cortex?
- animal reflection /metacognition?
- communication, consciousness, and fMRI
- Brain plasticity investigation
- singing apes (gibbons and dialects?) ; talking Chimpanzeese?
- more on the language and counting issues- you need the words for the big numbers! Surprise!!!
- New book on the evolution of the human head, Daniel Lieberman, 2011.
- Noise pollution and animal communication (follow links for examples and interpreting spectrograms.)
- More on TMS and how it works
- Project Nim- arf in another species.
- Fetch X! Arf arf! (interesting article on dogs learning a human based code (HBC).
- early language environments differ
- Stop neurobabble!
- brain, daydreams and theory of mind development
- screening for genes associated with deafness - sounds useful.
- reading brains are different? Not too surprising but interesting
- another reason humans are not chimps-- if you needed one! But are Neanderthals human?
- study your vocabulary items right before sleeping on it...
- the significance of brand names
- how do ancient languages sound? How do we know about this? (Babylonian)
- moderate Whorfism
- more on color and language
- apes laugh?
- men and women speak different?
- animal distress calls in the movies?
- another counting dog- Sydney.
- hearing in neonates - critical for speech
- more on language in the brain-- fMRI localization of functions.
- Bonobos say, no shake--"no"!
- Big surprise-- more than one part of our brain is used with sign language!
- new human family tree-
- effect of language on 3 month old infant cognition?
- prosody and question trees
- talk more, less chitchat--be happy
- music as speech therapy
- 60-100K old symbols or just decorative eggs?
- stuttering genes?
- blind people utilize visual cortex in voice analysis
- "average" voices are preferred...
- another no surprise- humans can guess emotion sounds in languages they don't know.
- definitions of disabilities in DSM-V in progress
- vegetative state and communication via imaging --update (see brain image notes)
- and the preservation of dialects
- death of languages
-- and from the BBC
- monkey talk and syntax?
- update on language genes 11/09 , same story here.
- baby cries and language acquisition
- bilingualism, sign language and TOTs
- innate ideas of faces/language?
- evolution of mammalian ear
- how hypnosis works?
- More on the nuns, language and alzheimer's ...
- why is language spared in alcoholics?
- color words influence perception? (needs to be checked out: Unconscious effects of language-specific terminology on preattentive color perception, PNAS published online before print February 24, 2009) doi:073/p10.1nas.0811155106
- Williams syndrome genes isolated
- Language narratives function as maps transmitted across generations?
- Hear with your face? Or just the motor theory of speech perception?
- Language genes - first FOX2P, now CNTNAP2. And even hearing genes....
- more on the effects of learning words on perception (MR) (see below for more on colors)
- foreign accent syndrome
- storytelling is universal, mind-revealing...
- sarcasm in the brain
- "Language is unteached!"-- the transformation of irregular verbs
- language and color vision, again
- another language dying?
- primate brains and language evolution-- a DTI study.
- Grammatical specific language impairment (G-SLI) and the brain
- Barak vs Hilary--- does voice quality count?
- Nine month old reads- says no problem- just send $129.95.. but wait..
- chimp and human language brain? Probably same old...
- language development thermometer??? (LENA)
How lame is this?
- animal vs human cognition
- Place names and DNA reveal Brit history
- "it is what it is!" -- our very lame government at work
- monkeys hear each other--really!
- semantics, space and speaker orientation
- dichotic listening test online
- verbal control of memory via hypnosis
- auditory neurons
- animal communication - better than average article
- dying dialects
- checkout the 'urban dictionary' --tomorrow's words today?
- more on language-specific number systems
- hearing and reading related?
- More on extinct languages..
- The "speech" gene, FOXP2, works in bats, too!
- about Alex R.I.P. (photo)
- another community with inherited deafness
; how does this happen?
- color words and color perception (or is it memory--again and again and..?)
- biography of Fernando Nottebohm-- greatest bird song scientist
- verbal priming of stereotypic
behavior -- could rapid presentation of "geezer"
words slow you down?
- does language reflect problem solving processes?
- what's the function of names?
- scans detect awareness in
vegetative state? You can hardly stop language comprehension..
- Language, childhood amnesia, and handedness???
- language meanings as actions
in the brain? Interested? Then check out
- Wegner, D. M., Sparrow, B., & Winerman, L. (2004). VIcarious agency:Experiencing
control over the movements of others. Journa of Personality & Social
Psychology, 86(6), 838-848.
- Essays graded by computer program? Check
out Latent Semantic Analysis (LSA) at Colorado
- More on the language gene (2/24/98)
- Pinker on Clinton's testimony
- Chechen language factoids and
- words for snow discussion
- send your baby to language school? Learn 100 signs..but wait...
(eliiminate tantrums and biting!)
Or sing and sign in Polish?
- Cochlear implants?
- watch the brain process words in two
modalities -- listen, read. s